Do these things promptly…
- Confess sins. “Keep short accounts with God,” it’s called.
- Write thank you notes.
- Write notes of appreciation. “Great song Sunday.” “I hear great things about your class.”
- When inspiration for a sermon or an article comes in the middle of the night, it must be recorded then or, count on it, you’ll never remember it. Keep a pad by the bedside.
- When you agree to do a friend a favor–write a letter of recommendation, call on a patient in a hospital, whatever–do it immediately or you will never do it.
- Jot down a story, illustration, or thought for a sermon that occurs to you. If you’re in the car alone, look for an exit and get off the highway so you can write this down. I’ve sometimes asked my wife to make a note for me as we drove.
- Pray for someone when prompted by the Spirit. When I spot someone who reminds me of a person I knew years ago, I take that as an impulse to pray for them.